Have you ever thought about backpacking in Asia? When you are backpacking, you are usually armed with the least possessions all stuffed in a backpack. You do not just travel to one destination in this trip. You will visit several countries and you will experience what it is like to live like the locals. That is the whole purpose of backpacking. You travel without a plan and you do not pre-book anything. Even the plane or train tickets will all be bought when you decide to move forward. You will not stay in hotels. You will go backpacking because you are in it for the thrill of the exploration.
When it comes to backpacking, Southeast Asia is the best place. The prices are cheaper compared to Western countries. Not only that, it is easier to go from one country to another. In fact, you might find a lot of suggested routes to follow. While these should be considered, do not tie yourself to one route. Feel free to go off track because that is the whole point of backpacking in Asia.
Tips for backpackers in Asia
Before you start your trip, here are a few reminders.
- Consider the weather. Most of the time, Asian countries have a pleasant weather. However, a lot of countries have unpredictable weather conditions. Like it can be hot and sunny in the morning and then rainy in the afternoon. Make sure you will stay away from trekking or hiking when it is the rainy season. It is usually best to go backpacking in Asia during the summer. Ask the locals before you go on a trip to be sure.
- Live like the locals. Again, this is the whole point of backpacking. Living like the locals. That means you have to live and eat like they do. You have to hang out where they go. The best way to eat while you are backpacking is to eat the street food. These are in abundance in Asia and very cheap too!
- Talk to the locals. They are the best tour guide and they know their country. You can get a lot of tips from them.
- Keep track of your budget. Most of the time, you can survive on $20 a day. You are allowed to splurge every now and then but make sure you still keep track of your budget. And be careful when you are bringing too much cash with you. Do not be too flashy.
Best countries to go backpacking in Asia
Now that you have the tips that will help you enjoy your trip, let us discuss the countries that you can visit. Here are your options if you want to go backpacking in Asia.
This is usually the first stop of backpackers in Asia. Bangkok has the most international flights so it is the best place to start. You can also go to several countries from here without the need to fly again.
- If you want to be more adventurous and off-grid, this is where you should go. The remote parts of Laos attract a lot of backpackers to come here to explore the jungles and ancient ruins.
- Tourists can attest to the fact that Vietnam feels like a whole different world. The cities are great for street photography – thanks to the busy streets and motorbikes. There are several beaches to enjoy as well but try to focus on the countryside because that is where the beauty is.
- If you come to this place, make sure you go to the temples of Angkor Wat. This is the largest in the world. If you want a feel of adventure, this is the best place to get some Indiana Jones type of action.
- This is a more family friendly place to go but there is something for backpackers to enjoy as well. There are beautiful beach destinations here too. The wildlife adventures should also be part of your itinerary.
- If you want a reprieve from the rough life of a backpacker, this is where you should head off to next. It is more modern and high-tech. But the food is still phenomenal so make sure you try out their street food.
- Now, this is one country that is bigger than the other countries. Bali is popular for tourists so you might want to skip that part. If you really want to experience Indonesia, go to Sumatra or Sulawesi. You can also go to Java because their temples are found there.
- This country is pretty underrated by a lot of travel sites. This is a very beautiful country that backpackers should go to. Imagine all 7000++ islands! There are so many places to explore. The cities are quite modern but when you get to the provinces – that is where the adventure starts. You can go off-track but it will not really feel too hard to do.
- Finally, you have to go to Myanmar. It is very easy to experience the authentic culture of the country. Immersion is easy to have. Try to go to Bagan to witness the sunset. Tourists say it is one of the best in the world.
These are the countries that you should consider when you are backpacking in Asia.